cygwin1.dll functions as a Linux API layer that provides extensive Linux API functionality. Except for Windows CE, cygwin1.dll can be used with any current 64 bit and x86 32 bit versions of Windows. You would normally experience the cygwin1.dll error whilst attempting to load or run certain applications while Windows is starting or shutting down.
What Causes The cygwin1.dll Error?
There are several reasons why the cygwin.dll error shows up, but the most common is because the cygwin1.dll files are damaged. It can also be caused by Windows failure to correctly read the dll file or the applications that utilize it.
This error message is typically shown in the following formats:
- “The file cygwin1.dll is missing.”
- “cygwin1.dll Not Found”
- “Cannot find C:\Program Files\openssh\bin\cygwin1.dll”
- “Cannot start Cygwin. A required component is missing: cygwin1.dll. Please install the application again.”
- “This application failed to start because cygwin1.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.”
How To Fix The cygwin1.dll Error On Your PC
Step 1 – Re-Install Any Programs Causing The Error
One likely cause of this error in your system is a faulty program. In order to resolve this, you need to remove the program that is causing the issue to surface and then replace it with the latest or most up-to-date version. Follow these instructions to carry out this measure:
- Click on Start on your Windows Bar.
- Second, choose Control Panel, then select Add/Remove Programs.
- You would then be shown a list of programs, from which you need to choose the “guilty” application.
- Remove this program by clicking on the Uninstall button that lies next to it.
- Next, refresh your PC’s settings by restarting your computer.
- Check to see if the error still persists by reinstalling and then running the program again.
If the error has not gone away, you can try the approach in the paragraph below.
Step 2 – Manually Replace The CygWin1.dll File on your PC
One of the most effective ways to repair cygwin1.dll errors is to replace the existing file on your PC. This can be done by following these procedures:
- First download an updated version of cygwin1.dll from the Internet, then
- Save it on your PC’s hard drive.
- Following this, you need to open the path c:\Windows\System32.
- You will then be shown a list of files, from which you need to find the existing cygwin1.dll file in your PC.
- After finding the current file, rename it as cygwin1BACKUP.dll.
- Next, move and paste the newly downloaded cygwin1.dll file in C:\Windows\System32.
- Afterwards, click on Start then select Run.
- On a blank field that will appear next, type cmd, followed by regsvr32 cygwin1.dll, then hit the Enter key.
Step 3 – Clean Out The Registry Of Windows
The registry is a highly important sector in your computer. It is a frequently accessed part of your computer that is easily corrupted. When Windows attempts to load a program, it will access the registry to obtain the processing information it needs for the required operation. The registry is also where you find all the settings and files that Windows uses to remember how your programs are setup. Therefore, any problems in the registry will become apparent as they almost always lead to errors like the cygwin1.dll error. Unfortunately the registry often suffers from problems due to its poor design, wherein it simply gets overloaded at times. To rectify issues in your registry, it is highly recommended that you use a registry cleaner, which is specially designed computer product that is able to scan and repair errors in this part of the computer quickly and with no hassle.