D3dx9_26.dll is a dynamic link library file part of the DirectX module created by Microsoft to enable you to load games or multimedia files that use heavy graphics. The file experiences errors when Windows is unable to process it properly either from being damaged or missing. You need to repair the error to be able to play your desired games or multimedia files. This tutorial will enable you to fix the d3dx9_26.dll errors for good.
What Causes d3dx9_26.dll Errors?
- “D3DX9_26.DLL Not Found”
- “File d3dx9_26.dll not found”
- “The dynamic link library d3dx9_26.dll could not be found in the specified path [PATH]”
- “The file d3dx9_26.dll is missing”
- “D3DX9_26.DLL is missing. Replace D3DX9_26.DLL and try again.”
- “D3dx9_26.dll – Unable to Locate Component”
- “This application has failed to start because d3dx9_26.dll could not be found!”
The various d3dx9_26.dll errors are primarily caused by the way in which Windows is unable to read or load the file because it is not found in your system or it has become corrupted. The problem can also be caused by having an older version of DirectX and some problems inside the registry. You need to identify the source of the problem in order to fix it – which can be done using the steps below:
How To Fix The d3dx_26.dll Error On Your PC
Step 1 – Upgrade DirectX On Your PC
The problem can be caused by having an older version of DirectX in your computer while the games or applications that you are attempting to use is intended for the latest version of DirectX. It is essential that you upgrade your DirectX version to the most recent version. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Start> Run and type “appwiz.cpl” in the box and then click OK.
- Locate and select the old version of DirectX and click the “Remove” (XP) or “Uninstall” (Vista and Windows 7) button.
- Reboot your computer when the removal process is done and log back in to Windows.
- Download the latest version of DirectX from the Microsoft website or use this link and save the file onto your hard drive.
- Run the file installer and follow the installation wizard to finish the installation process and reboot your PC when done.
Step 2 – Manually Replace The D3dx_26.dll File on your PC
The best way to resolve the issues surrounding the d3dx_26.dll is to manually replace the dll file and register it onto your Windows system. Here’s how you can do this:
- Download d3dx_26.zip from the Internet
- Unzip the d3dx_26.dll file onto your computer’s hard drive
- Browse to c:\Windows\System32
- Locate the current d3dx_26.dll on your system
- Rename the current d3dx_26.dll to d3dx_26BACKUP.dll
- Copy & paste the new d3dx_26.dll into C:\Windows\System32
- Click Start > Run (Or search”run” on Vista & Win7)
- Type “cmd” in the box that appears
- Type “regsvr32 d3dx_26.dll” on the black screen
- Please Error
This process will provide a fresh and working copy of the dll file and should prevent the error message from showing. If the problem persists, proceed to the next step.
Step 3 – Clean Out The Registry Of Windows
The “registry” is a complicated Windows module that holds information vital to the smooth operation of your PC. It is a central database that holds all file and program settings. Unfortunately, as you keep using your computer, the registry accumulates errors, including the d3dx9_26.dll errors and other serious errors that contribute to the sluggishness of your system. The errors inside the registry come from registry entries that have become damaged or corrupted due to the way Windows saves them in the wrong way as a result of accessing multiple registry keys at the same time. You can fix d3dx9_26.dll errors by cleaning out the errors inside the registry, which you can accomplish by using a reliable registry cleaner program to repair errors inside the registry.