Msidcrl40.dll is a Microsoft dll file used in the Windows Live Messenger program that acts as an identity CRL. The error messages surrounding this file that show up each time you try to access Windows Live Messenger are mostly caused by Windows not being able to read the file in question. You need to identify the specific cause of the problem to be able to fix this. This tutorial will help you resolve msidcrl40.dll issues in your PC.
What Causes msidcrl40.dll Errors?
When the msidcrl40.dll errors appear on your screen, they are typically displayed in these formats:
- “msidcrl40.dll Not Found”
- “This application failed to start because msidcrl40.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.”
- “Cannot find C:\Program Files\microsoft office outlook connector\msidcrl40.dll”
- “The file msidcrl40.dll is missing.”
- “Cannot start Microsoft® Identity CRL. A required component is missing: msidcrl40.dll. Please install the application again.”
When these errors show up, it is an indication that the file is either damaged or corrupted or missing, all of which cause Windows to fail in its attempts to load the file. As a result, Windows will instead display the above error messages.
How To Fix msidcrl40.dll Errors
Step 1 – Re-Install Any Programs Causing The Error
To fix the error, you first need to re-install the programs that you think are causing the error message to appear. You will know which program if you see this error each time you try to use it. You first need to remove the program by clicking Start> Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs for Windows XP or Programs and Features for Vista and Windows 7. Select the program/s from among the list which will populate, and then click the “Remove” or “Uninstall” button. It is important that you reboot your computer once you are done removing any programs. Removing the program will hopefully stop the error messages from appearing.
After the PC has been restarted, you can opt to re-install the program you have just removed by inserting the CD/DVD installation disc onto your optical drive, or obtain an installation file from the Internet.
Step 2 – Locate & Replace The Missing File
The best way to ensure that the msidcrl40.dll is working properly is to download a new version and replace the missing file. You can manually replace the file and then register it onto your system by following these steps:
- Download a replacement msidcrl40.dll file from the Internet
- Save the msidcrl40.dll file onto your computer’s hard drive
- Browse to c:\Windows\System32
- Locate the current msidcrl40.dll on your system
- Rename the current msidcrl40.dll to msidcrl40BACKUP.dll
- Copy & paste the new msidcrl40.dll into C:\Windows\System32
- Click Start > Run (Or search”run” on Vista & Win7)
- Type “cmd” in the box that appears
- Type “regsvr32 msidcrl40.dll” on the black screen
- Press “Enter”
If this procedure has not prevented the error message from showing, you need to proceed to the last step.
Step 3 – Clean Out The Registry
Problems in the registry database can often cause msidcrl40.dll errors showing on your computer, along with scores of other system problems. The registry is a vital database which stores all your file and program settings. These settings are constantly accessed by Windows as it needs to read them whenever you ask it to run a program. The errors in the registry are a direct result of entries becoming corrupted or damaged due to the way Windows access hundreds of registry keys at the same time. Because it operates at such high speed, Windows often makes mistakes when saving the registry keys, which ultimately corrupts them. You need to repair the registry by cleaning out errors inside. The easiest and most efficient way of doing this is by using a ‘registry cleaner’ to scan and fix errors for you.
Our highly recommended cleaning tool works efficiently in removing 99% of system errors by correcting faults in your system and stopping viruses from running allowing you to have an error-free system.